Saturday, August 23, 2008

One Day More

The musical Les Miserables has ever been a part of me.
I was only a boy when I first heard the passionate swells ... and even then I understood.

I've always tried to live with Jean Valjean's strength.

I've tried to accept change in the way that Javert never could.

Whenever I've known heartache - I've thought of Eponine. Of her dejection, of her life ... and of its end.

Now I see a new connection:

At one point ... the day before a great battle ...

An old man gathers his daughter with the intention to run -
And so his daughter must leave her first and only true love.

The retched make a plan to steal from the dead and become rich -
As the rich make a plan to fight, and become free.

And an enemy makes a plan to lead the free - to their deaths.


All of these voices sound out in a cry! In a day's time life will never be the same!

...

Adam, my best friend, is going to be a dad soon. He can't know what to expect, but he's trying.

I can't be sure I'll recognize him.

My sister is moving into an apartment soon. She's never faced this kind of responsibility.

How will she cope?

My mother and father are going to be alone again soon.
My sister and I are moving - we'll be taking our pets, our stuff and our noise with us.

Can dad re-embrace the serenity he's apparently forgotten?

What will mom do with her time? Where will she find her meaning?

And what of me? Soon ...

-----

So I have a decision to make. A decision that carries more weight than I've ever known:

Do I live in Selah and save for a future?

Or do I live in the Tri-Cities? Do I enjoy the time I have? With the people I love?

*sigh

I've never been good at making friends. I wonder if I'll ever again make a friend quite like Adam ...

And I've been alone in a big city before.

I didn't cope with that well. I'm still spinning, still lonely. Six months in the Tri-Cities ... could be just the cathartic adventure I need.

But why can't I buy happiness? In Selah ...

I could save AND ... learn to ride a horse at the local academy! I could sky dive! Buy a Wii.

I could see Seattle whenever the mood strikes. For that matter, I could visit the Tri-Cities!

...

So here I am, confused. Some months ago, my life was stagnant. I was going nowhere.

I was stuck.

And now ... suddenly I have two options. Two ways to enrich my life.

Should I make the financially sound decision?
Or do I try to be around the people I love - with whatever time I can afford and they will allow?

1 comment:

Mrs. Martin said...

whatever you decide, we will still be here, always with an open door and a cozy couch. =)